Monday, September 10, 2007

New found respect

As I mentioned, I have gone back to work. Even thought it is only part time, I am away from the house enough now that Nolan has really had to step up and start getting even more things done around the house. He is really trying hard and doing a good job so far. My first weekend at work was Labor Day weekend, and since it was a very busy weekend at the resort, I agreed to work all four days. Plus Nolan has been off work for a few weeks and wasn't going to start his new job until Wednesday of that week, so we got to have one more day off together. So I went off to work and he stayed home with the kids and became a "Mr. Mom" of sorts.
Nolan is great at taking care of the kids, but needs some work on getting house chores done. I am not perfect by any means either, but while he was in school, I took care of everything for the house so he could concentrate on his studies. Now we are trying to rearrange things so that the load is more evenly spread out.
Our kids are quite a handful right now. My daughter who will be 5 next week, has so much to say and is very energetic. So much so that sometimes she goes too far and will end up accidentally hurting Gunnar when she is just trying to play with him. She is constantly talking and loves to tell stories and dance and run and jump and twirl - well you get the idea. We are actually considering enrolling her in a tumbling class so she can expend some of this incredible energy. Gunnar is a very rambunctious 2 year old who loves to climb on everything and get into anything he can get his little hands on. He likes to run and jump and scream and holler (etc.) when Sienna does too, and that can get a little hectic. Plus he is always hungry, so it seems like we are always making him food and cleaning him up.
So back to Labor Day weekend...I had been at work and Nolan was taking care of the kids and home. Nolan has done this before - like last year when I was working, he has the kids all day on Saturdays. Also when I go to run errands by myself or am at my Yoga class or something, but he has not been totally in charge of it all for 4 days in a row before. When I got home Monday night, He came up to me and gave me a huge hug and kiss and said, "I love you! You are so awesome! How do you do this all of the time?!"
I smiled and replied, "So you are saying you have a new found respect for me?"
His reply, "Totally!" (another kiss) "Oh! And I cannot wait to go back to work!" (followed by a huge smile).

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I love it! I wonder if that will happen after our schooling is done...we'll see. I'm glad he had a deeper level of appreciation!

Rabble-rouser said...

Even these 3-day weekends almost drive me to the point of insanity! :) Nah, they are great, we have a lot of fun!! It is kinda of weird though having a job that I totally don't dread going back to on Monday. I almost look forward to it after a weekend alone with the kids. I know that you know what I am talking about. :)