Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Newbold Family Campout

July 31st through August 3rd, our family got together for our first Bob & Margie Newbold Family Reunion. We all went camping at a great little spot in the Uinta Mountains in the Smith & Moorehouse Reservoir area.
We got in kinda late on the evening of the 31st, so we just set up camp, ate dinner and went to bed. The next day, right after breakfast, Sienna was ready for the adventures to begin. So she and Gunnar and I went on a little walk that ended up being quite a hike up into the hills. I told her we had to turn around and get Daddy, because he'd want to go on this hike too. Plus I was wearing flip flops and needed better shoes. Shortly after arriving back at camp, the Bosworths and the other Newbolds (Jace & Rebecca) arrived. Unfortunately, Kiley and Dianne were not able to attend due to the recent arrival of their adorable first born child. Isn't he just precious? After everyone got all set up, Nolan and I took our kids back to the hiking trail. It is so great that our children love to hike and enjoy being out in nature as much as we do.My Little Angel...always ready with an adorable pose for the camera. Ta-Da!Showing off her trail running skills...Cute little Gunnar enjoyed looking with Daddy over the edge of the bridge into the rushing water below. He also discovered that he is quite good at jumping off of boulders!And..Boom!!That night, we had fire roasted hot dogs and chips for dinner, followed by toasted sticky marshmallows and smores for dessert. Mmmmmmmmmm.Nana wanted to cook a mallow, but was very careful not to get too close to the fire.
All of the cousins played so well together. It was really great to have them all together like this.
top row in back: Lilly & Alex
middle section: Nick, Sienna, Belle & Sam
and out in front: Gunnar & KateOf course they all wanted the silly photo too.The next day (Saturday) everyone wanted to go down to the lake and try some fishing. Unfortunately, I could not go as I was suffering from a severe migraine headache. I told Nolan to take lots of photos so I could at least see what happened down there. There was apparently a lot of mud and the kids (especially Nick) couldn't resist it. When everyone got back, I was still feeling under the weather, but it was too hot to go lie down in a tent. So I stayed in the shade and rested in a lounge chair as much as possible. While resting, I was approached by Nick and Annabelle clad in only underwear, and the proceeded to tell me of their mud slinging fun!For the kids, Marisa had planned a fun arts and crafts project of painting rocks. Since I was not feeling well and all the other grown ups were engaged in helping the kids paint the rocks and not each other, there were no photos taken of the event. But here are the finished products (from my kids anyway).

(photo coming soon)

That night Jace & Becca left, and the rest of us had a wonderful cold vegetable pasta salad the Bosworths made for dinner.

Nana & Papa's dog, Sadie, was such a good little doggie. She is such a sweetheart!
By Sunday morning, our time in the mountains had come to an end. I found Sienna and Gunnar sitting on a nearby stump looking quite sullen. When I asked what was wrong, Sienna replied, "Mom, I am just having such a hard time saying goodbye to the mountains. I just want to stay and stay."I told her, "You know, you remind me of another little girl who always had a hard time going home after a fun vacation."
"Who was that?"
"Me" I told her.
"So, what did you do?", she asked.
"Well, I just had to learn that even though vacations are so much fun, they do eventually come to an end. And if we don't go home, we can't come back again for another trip."
She thought about it for a moment or two, then she smiled, got up, blew kisses to the trees and said, "Ok mountains. I love you! I'll see you next time!"What a cutie pie!
We finished packing up and bid farewell until next time to this gorgeous landscape.In the future, I will enjoy having some place like this for a summer home!

Can't wait to come back!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

What is it about Sienna that I can practically hear what she would sound like or say in a certain situation? Like displaying her trail running skills -- I'm sure she gave you a detailed play by play of what she was going to do, and what you would do while she did that. Very instructive.

Looks like such a fun trip! (How come I remember all the nieces and nephews except Lilly?) I love the part about saying goodbye to the mountains. Do you think she's you're kid? Gunnar is so darling in all those pictures. I love his hair! I'm sure he made plenty of mountain appropriate sound effects during the weekend.

Zaltana said...

Melanie,
You are very intuitive where Sienna is concerned. That was what the hike was like. That is what her life is like - a play by play of real life mixed with her imagination!

Gunnar is such a little boy! He found bugs and dirt and sticks all over the place!

Ya - we're lucky that both our kids love the mountains as much as we do.

Lilly is the Bosworth's cousin on the Bosworth side of the family. That is why you don't recognize her. :)